SSJ3 - Zelda/Epona SSJ3 - Zelda/Epona

A heartfelt tribute if I've ever heard one. Great job, Shawn. RIP Younglinkx.

~J

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

Thank you so much, Josh. It actually means a lot that you came and listened to this.

SSJ3 - U.N. Owen Was Her SSJ3 - U.N. Owen Was Her

And this one brings to mind a fight toward the depths of hell itself, with heroes incorruptible. These two themes from Touhou just sound like battle themes to me, I guess.

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

To be honest, they are the themes of bosses. This one being the theme of the extra boss in Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Flandre Scarlet, and Lunatic Princess is the theme for Kaguya Houraisan from Touhou 8: Imperishable Night. So yeah, they are battle themes. Thanks for your review!

SSJ3 - Lunatic Princess SSJ3 - Lunatic Princess

Sounds to me like a battle taking place in a field of wild flowers, all of which are blooming one by one as the battle unfolds. I can't explain why I feel this way; it's got to be something to do with the melody.

Great work, Shawn. I haven't had the experience of any of the Touhou series, so I have no idea how far off my feelings are! :D

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

Sorry for the TOTALLY late response, I haven't responded to many reviews lately! QQ Anyway, I'm doing more~ I've done Flowering Night, too, so check that out when you get the chance.

SSJ3 - This Is Halloween SSJ3 - This Is Halloween

That was so good I want to hear it again! Maybe it's 'cause it's the Elfman, but you have a really good one on your hands here, Shawn! The mix is really good, too. :D

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

Thank you, Josh, as always. :D I always enjoy seeing your reviews! Elfman is quite epic, I must say. And this song could go well in more styles than one! Again, thank you!

-Shawn

Ssj3 - Dancing Mad Piano Ssj3 - Dancing Mad Piano

That Edirol piano has a great tone. Who needs drums?

Now, if you had a nice keyboard MIDI controller and a pianist dropping a human interpretation of this into FL using Edirol as the soundbank for the MIDI data, that'd be just phenominal. For MIDI playback through a VST, though, this is still really good. Good job on the dynamic contrast between sections and left hand/right hand.

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

Hah, thanks, man! ...Really not much else to say. xD

SSJ3 - Facing/Storm 2012 SSJ3 - Facing/Storm 2012

Neat stuff, man. The blend of your synth voices and the atmospheric effects, such as the thunder cracks, reminds me of the Mass Effect background tracks. Good guitar composing, even if it's just FL Slayer. :D

I'm not such a big fan of your beat pattern choices, though. The mood seems to call less for the half-time you've favored for most of the piece and more for the at-tempo (double-time for the piece, based on your preference for the half-time) pattern like what you chose at 1:31 and the similar sections of the arrangement. The half-time pattern makes it feel less in my face, as though the storm is being viewed through a transparent but thick, durable barrier. It diminishes the sense of danger, in a way.

That said, the bridge-like section from 4:21 through about 5:58 makes good use of the half-time. I might have gone with a 16th-note closed hi-hat pattern, though; it would keep more appropriate timing for the section than the 8th-note open.

The ending is tight; I dig the throwback to the intro.

Overall, good stuff here, Shawn. Drums could use some work as always, of course. :D

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

It was basically a rehashing and remixing of my first version, so yeah, it's bound to have many of the same elements. I just wanted to make a throwback to 2010 with one of my most liked pieces. Thanks for your review, man!

Chaoz Fantasy SSJ3 V.2 Chaoz Fantasy SSJ3 V.2

Wonderful mix again, Shawn! I thought your first attempt at this piece was pretty good, too, but I took a listen to the original after I heard this one and the faithful interpretation of Paragon's piece gets some major props from me. I like your drum work, too, though her's was fantabulous. :D

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

Of course hers was fantabulous, cause it was the original. I only tried to make this one as faithful to it as possible. Thank you, Josh. I hope, though it could be a pretty low chance of it happening, I hope she comes to see this. I want her to hear this. >w< Thank you, Josh!

SSJ3 - Dance/Blades SSJ3 - Dance/Blades

Excellent work, Shawn! The feedback was, in particular, very cool, but I was mostly blown away with the composition.

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

Hah, thanks, Josh! I didn't think the feedback would work so well with it! Always nice to hear your reviews. :D

-Shawn

SSJ3 - Oncoming Challenge SSJ3 - Oncoming Challenge

Freaking awesome job, Shawn! High energy, rockin' and movin' -- exactly what a battle theme needs to be. I don't know why, but it reminds me of the brief amount of time I spent playing Tales of Symphonia, for the Gamecube. Maybe it was the way that game's battles were done. I don't know, really.

Anyway, great work here, Shawn. :D

SSJ3-Goku4567 responds:

I always love reading your reviews. They always make sense and often are to the point. I'm still in love with organ sounds, but I wanted to show off how well I could incorporate FL Slayer into a song. Thank you, Josh! Maybe one day someone will use this.

SSJ3 - MGS Game Over SSJ3 - MGS Game Over

This mix inspired me to do my own, and make it the text message notification tone for my phone. I'm thinking of putting it on the NGAP, but I doubt anyone wants to hear me say "New message" in my worst Solid Snake impression. Maybe if I did the Game Over like you did, and cry out for Snake. Hm...

Anyway, I'm not particularly fond of the drums in this one. Something doesn't feel right with them, though I can't put my finger on what.